Yu (Brian) Yao graduated with his M.S and PhD from the Robotics Program at the University of Michigan. Brian also holds a Bachelor’s in Aerospace Engineering from Beijing Institute of Technology.
Brian PhD work focuses on intelligent event data recorder for autonomous driving systems. He is specifically focusing on vision-based prediction and spatio-temporal anomaly/event detection and the applications in intelligent transportation systems (e.g. autonomous vehicles). He is also interested in advanced Artificial Intelligence topics such as game theory and deep reinforcement learning.
- Yao Y., Wang X, Xu M, Pu Z, Atkins E, Crandall D. DoTA: Unsupervised Detection of TrafficAnomaly in Driving Videos. In submission to IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) arXiv:2004:03044
- Feng R., Yao Y., Atkins EM. Smart Black Box 2.0: Efficient High-bandwidth Driving Data Collection based on Video Anomalies. In submission to Algorithms, MDPI. arXiv:2101:00706
- Yao Y., Atkins EM, Johnson-Roberson M, Vasudevan R, Du X. BiTraP: Bi-directional Pedestrian Trajectory Prediction with Multi-modal Goal Estimation. Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L) 2021, arXiv:2007:14558
- Yao Y., Atkins EM. The Smart Black Box: A Value-Driven High-Bandwidth Automotive Event Data Recorder. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent transportation systems (T-ITS). 2020, arXiv:1903:01450
- Li N, Yao Y, Kolmanovsky I, Atkins E, Girard A. Game-Theoretic Modeling of Multi-Vehicle Interactions at Uncontrolled Intersections. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent transportation systems (T-ITS). 2020, arXiv:1904.05423
- Yao Y, Xu M, Wang Y, Crandall DJ, Atkins EM. Unsupervised Traffic Accident Detection in First-Person Videos. In 2019 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) arXiv:1903.00618.
- Castagno J, Yao Y, Atkins E. Realtime Rooftop Landing Site Identification and Selection in Urban City Simulation. arXiv:1903.03829.
- Yao Y, Xu M, Choi C, Crandall DJ, Atkins EM, Dariush B. Egocentric Vision-based Future Vehicle Localization for Intelligent Driving Assistance Systems. In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2019 IEEE Conference. arXiv:1809.07408
- Yao Y., Atkins EM. The Smart Black Box: A Value-Driven Automotive Event Data Recorder. In Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2018 IEEE 21th International Conference. doi: 10.1109/ITSC.2018.8569253